Re: Firewall problems with RDF MIME type?

> Phil Archer wrote:
>> Be that as it may, I've now hit a new problem. Firewalls don't seem to
>> like the RDF MIME type either. At my encouraging, a company
>> (www.madesafe.com) put an RDF file (labels.rdf) in its root directory and
>> then configured Apache to include an HTTP Response Header to point to it
>> (this involved installing an Apache module and adding the RDF MIME type).
>
> Why did that involve installing an Apache module? This should be enough:
>
>  AddType application/rdf+xml .rdf

Yes, that sorts the MIME type issue, but setting custom Response Headers
needs mod_headers which is not generally installed by default.

>> No problem - except a lot of the website became inaccessible! Reconfigure
>> Apache to take out the RDF MIME type - problem disappears. It's not the
>> server, it's the firewall that thinks it's detecting a problem.
>> Configuring the firewall _didn't_ solve it. (The solution for now, has
>> been to rename the file as labels.xml - so it gets the text/xml MIME type
>> but it's better than text/plain).
>
> You might want to change that to application/xml as text/xml has some
> issues with regard to character encoding. See RFC 3023 section 8.5

I know it's not ideal but when the "correct" solution makes the website
inaccessible, pragmatism has to take over.

> I wonder though how a firewall goes to jump because of a MIME type...

Me too. Hence the question!