Re: Firewall problems with RDF MIME type?

From: Anne van Kesteren <fora@annevankesteren.nl>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 14:13:46 +0200
To: Phil Archer <phil.archer@icra.org>
CC: SWIG <semantic-web@w3.org>

Phil Archer wrote:
> Be that as it may, I've now hit a new problem. Firewalls don't seem to
> like the RDF MIME type either. At my encouraging, a company
> (www.madesafe.com) put an RDF file (labels.rdf) in its root directory
> and then configured Apache to include an HTTP Response Header to point
> to it (this involved installing an Apache module and adding the RDF MIME
> type).

Why did that involve installing an Apache module? This should be enough:

  AddType application/rdf+xml .rdf

> No problem - except a lot of the website became inaccessible!
> Reconfigure Apache to take out the RDF MIME type - problem disappears.
> It's not the server, it's the firewall that thinks it's detecting a
> problem. Configuring the firewall _didn't_ solve it. (The solution for
> now, has been to rename the file as labels.xml - so it gets the text/xml
> MIME type but it's better than text/plain).

You might want to change that to application/xml as text/xml has some
issues with regard to character encoding. See RFC 3023 section 8.5

I wonder though how a firewall goes to jump because of a MIME type...

--
  Anne van Kesteren
  <http://annevankesteren.nl/>