Re: RDF Schema - question on implied typing with rdfs:Class

Hans Teijgeler wrote:
> Jeremy,
>
> Thanks for the quick response! I still have to get used to your RDF lingo,
> so in order to make sure I'll say it in my own lingo: The typing with
> rdfs:Class of the subclass ex:PassengerVehicle is not required in case the
> recording of the fact that it is a subclass of ex:MotorVehicle is
> guaranteed. If OK:closed, and thanks again.

That is true.

To be very practical: not all RDF environments implement the RDFS entailing rules. If you
*know* that the RDF data will be processed by a RDFS aware environment then, by virtue of
the entailing rules, the (ex:PassengerVehicle,rdf:type,rdfs:Class) triplet will be 'added'
to the triple store (whether 'added' means physically or virtually is besides the point).
If you want to be on the safe side, you can add the explicit statement, as Jeremy said.

Ivan

--

Ivan Herman
W3C Communications Team, Head of Offices