W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-xsl-wg@w3.org > November 2016

Re: HTML5 conversion : progress report

From: Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2016 10:45:00 +0000
Cc: Public XSLWG <public-xsl-wg@w3.org>, Andrew Coleman <andrew_coleman@uk.ibm.com>
Message-Id: <F44DCF90-E797-4983-8DC5-7009215261A6@saxonica.com>
To: Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com>
I have now completed the conversion of the XSLT 3.0 spec to HTML5, the result can be viewed at the usual locations:

http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/qtspecs/specifications/xslt-30/html/Overview.html

http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/qtspecs/specifications/xslt-30/html/Overview-diff.html

I think there's a bit of fine-tuning to do on the tables, but it generally seems to look OK. Let me know if there are any aspects of the rendition that appear particularly ugly (or indeed, incorrect).

The resulting files validate as HTML5, and this was achieved without needing to reintroduce the HTML tidy step - it just needed a few stylesheet tweaks, and some minor corrections to the source XML (e.g. not putting a Note inside a paragraph).

I will now attempt the same process on the F+O spec, after which I will "release" it to the other spec editors.

Michael Kay
Saxonica


> On 9 Nov 2016, at 18:38, Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com> wrote:
> 
> I have been working this afternoon on continuing the work started by Carine on adapting the build to produce HTML5.
> 
> * I put the new stylesheets into the CVS working copy as style/xmlspec-2016.xsl and style/xsl-query-2016.xsl, to minimise disruption (and so that we can rebuild 3.0 specs if we ever need to). This means updating the spec-specific stylesheets such as xslt.xsl to import the -2016 version of the base stylesheet.
> 
> * I've set Ant properties to disable the tidy step. I'm hoping we can get valid HTML5 output by a combination of (a) tidying up the source XML, and (b) being smarter in the XML-to-HTML stylesheets.
> 
> * The xslt.xsl stylesheet is generating Overview.xml as an XML serialization (so this is available for subsequent processing, e.g. generating the /etc index files). There is then a post-processing step to serialize the XML as HTML5. Because Saxon-HE currently supports XQuery 3.0 but not XSLT 3.0, I'm doing the XML-to-HTML5 conversion as a one-line XQuery task.
> 
> * I'm incrementally uploading to the usual internal location, and then running the W3C HTML5 validator. Most of the issues are the same kind of thing Carine was finding - explicit style attributes on tables, etc. Slowly working through the reasons for these invalidities and eliminating them.
> 
> Michael Kay
> Saxonica
Received on Thursday, 10 November 2016 10:45:30 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Thursday, 10 November 2016 10:45:30 UTC