W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-xsl-wg@w3.org > November 2016

HTML5 conversion : progress report

From: Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2016 18:38:45 +0000
Message-Id: <CFDDAD8D-DBBA-4ED2-A777-282772FF382A@saxonica.com>
Cc: Andrew Coleman <andrew_coleman@uk.ibm.com>
To: Public XSLWG <public-xsl-wg@w3.org>
I have been working this afternoon on continuing the work started by Carine on adapting the build to produce HTML5.

* I put the new stylesheets into the CVS working copy as style/xmlspec-2016.xsl and style/xsl-query-2016.xsl, to minimise disruption (and so that we can rebuild 3.0 specs if we ever need to). This means updating the spec-specific stylesheets such as xslt.xsl to import the -2016 version of the base stylesheet.

* I've set Ant properties to disable the tidy step. I'm hoping we can get valid HTML5 output by a combination of (a) tidying up the source XML, and (b) being smarter in the XML-to-HTML stylesheets.

* The xslt.xsl stylesheet is generating Overview.xml as an XML serialization (so this is available for subsequent processing, e.g. generating the /etc index files). There is then a post-processing step to serialize the XML as HTML5. Because Saxon-HE currently supports XQuery 3.0 but not XSLT 3.0, I'm doing the XML-to-HTML5 conversion as a one-line XQuery task.

* I'm incrementally uploading to the usual internal location, and then running the W3C HTML5 validator. Most of the issues are the same kind of thing Carine was finding - explicit style attributes on tables, etc. Slowly working through the reasons for these invalidities and eliminating them.

Michael Kay
Saxonica
Received on Wednesday, 9 November 2016 18:39:17 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Wednesday, 9 November 2016 18:39:18 UTC