RE: ACTION A-645-07: schema for serialization parameters

From: Abel Braaksma <abel.braaksma@xs4all.nl>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2016 13:24:34 +0200
To: "'C. M. Sperberg-McQueen'" <cmsmcq@blackmesatech.com>, "'Public Joint XSLT XQuery XPath'" <public-xsl-query@w3.org>

I'm curious, where did you see the production *without* the ws:explicit? Because in XPath 3.0, 3.1 public CR and 3.1 internal CR I see the following production rules (under section A.2.1 Terminal Symbols, the inline rules in the body of the text do not carry the ws:explicit comments, which is perhaps a bit unfortunate):

[117]   	URIQualifiedName	   ::=   	BracedURILiteral NCName 	/* ws: explicit */
[118]   	BracedURILiteral	   ::=   	"Q" "{" [^{}]* "}"	/* ws: explicit */

In other words, whitespace is prohibited for this production.

> 2 The literal "Q{ }bar" is accepted by the status-quo schema and
> rejected by the new one.  The old one uses the pattern

> to force the namespace name to be non-empty; the new schema uses

I think that both the old and the new rules are too lenient. I propose the following regular expression instead:

In addition, a further improvement would be to disallow "Q{}" (i.e., without following ncname) and to force non-space chars all over:

PS: I will test the new XSD against the MS validator as well today.

Cheers,
Abel