RE: F+O spec : function finder

I'm no lawyer either, but I think the statement is pretty clear, and it is precisely because of the tension between what a "technical report" and a "technical specification" is.

Suppose you would device the next *specification* for direct current machines under 800V within certain surroundings. You want to enforce this, perhaps even so that any machine dealing with 800V input *must* follow your specification or it cannot be admitted to a certain market (say, European Union, for getting the CE stamp on your machine).

This statement below says that you *cannot* use XQuery etc to be (part of, or the whole of) such *technical specification*. In other words, you cannot borrow this *technical report* and use it as a *technical specification*.

Apart from the legal problems (report vs spec) there's the issue of responsibility: this statement prevents that any of these TRs can be used in a document that has a stronger legal enforcement policy than the TRs themselves (but I admit, this is pretty vague in and of itself).

Just don't write your own specification with it, and you should be fine (though writing an *extension* specification, such as EXPath is totally allowed).

If you just use it to explain itself, I don't see any (legal) issues.

Cheers,

Abel