Re: Strawman proposal for modified Transform processing for Streamability

Pratik Datta wrote:

> I understand the concern of streaming XPath parsers, but the XPath
> subset that I am defining is simple enough, that an implementor can
> define streaming XPath engine at least with less complexity than a
> canonicalization engine. Also we are not preventing people from using a
> regular DOM based XPath engine, which is very readily available.

Yes, but that is contradictory to what we are trying to achieve. I think
if we want to create a successful streaming profile, we should make sure
that it is something that can be realistically implemented. I don't want
XPath to be the C14N of the streaming profile. It seems to me that the
onus will be on XML Signature implementors to create a streaming XPath
implementation. If that's the case, I think we need to prove that this
is not a really difficult task.

> By the way, what is the NodeSelection transform ?

It doesn't exist, it was just an example of a node selection Transform
that would be streaming-friendly and not necessarily tied to XPath
(perhaps one could use XPath as the implementation though). I admit I
haven't really given this much thought and it may be the case that
anything we come up with on our own would be similar enough to XPath
expressions that it wouldn't make much sense.

--Sean