Re: Some strawman ideas concerning <ds:Transforms>

Hi,

Pratik Datta wrote:
> I would like to see if we can achieve this streaming hint with forward
> compatibility.

+1 to at least trying to achieve that.
> By that I mean, we put in the hint in such a place that older implementations
> can still verify such a signature by ignoring the hint, whereas newer
> implementations can take advantage of this hint and do streaming.

Quick Proposal:

        <ds:Reference URI="">
            <?ds:Reference dereference as event stream allowed,
constrained transforms enforced, legacy equivalent processing and
compatible results are hereby stipulated ?>
            <ds:Transforms>
            </ds:Transforms>
            <ds:DigestMethod Algorithm="..."/>
            <ds:DigestValue>...</ds:DigestValue>
        </ds:Reference>

If  the hints / preconditions are not fulfilled by the ds:Transforms,
throw an error.
> [...] how about adding it as a new attribute to an existing transform?
> Implementations will probably ignore unknown attributes. Or maybe add a new
> transformation parameter?

I doubt that extension points will be ignored by applications in
general, hence my preference for a processing-instruction.

Konrad

--
Konrad Lanz, IAIK/SIC - Graz University of Technology
Inffeldgasse 16a, 8010 Graz, Austria

Certificate chain (including the EuroPKI root certificate):
https://europki.iaik.at/ca/europki-at/cert_download.htm