RE: Initial thoughts on chartering -- removal of <SignedInfo> canonicalization

Supplementing what Phill said...

One does not have to canonicalize XML references just because they are XML;
one only has to canonicalize them if they will be read and rewritten by an
intermediate proxy.

However, there is still canonicalization for the signature's <SignedInfo>
element and canonicalization is necessary for that because, in reading the
signature, the validator is sort of a proxy. Yet because <SignedInfo> is
part of the XML Signature specification, we can create our own
namespace-specific canonicalization that is:

a) specialized for our purposes;
b) easy to implement; and
c) highly performant.

By "specialized for our purposes", I specifically mean that in the v2.0 we
remove the <SignedInfo>/<CanonicalizationMethod> and define a byte-by-byte
syntax of what <SignedInfo> is from a validator's perspective -- the key
goal being to minimize the variability and complex functionality that makes
general canonicalization so resource-consuming (and, in my view, ultimately
unnecessary). I will discuss this more in my presentation.

Ed
_____________________________
Ed Simon <edsimon@xmlsec.com>
Principal, XMLsec Inc.
(613) 726-9645

Interested in XML, Web Services, or Security? Visit "
<http://www.xmlsec.com/> http://www.xmlsec.com".

New! "Privacy Protection for E-Services" published by Idea Group (ISBN:
1-59140-914-4 for hard cover, 1-59140-915-2 for soft cover).
Includes a chapter, by Ed Simon, on "Protecting Privacy Using XML, XACML,
and SAML".
See the Table of Contents here: " <http://tinyurl.com/rukr4>
http://tinyurl.com/rukr4".

  _____