Re: Action-69: "Ed Simon to Draft warning similar to that of section 7.2 of RFC 2253"

Ed Simon wrote:
> Sean and Frederick,
>
> Yes, this was intended for the Best Practices document.
>
> Sean,
> That is interesting about PrintableString vs. UTF8String because the part in
> quotation marks at the end is cut and pasted from RFC 4514.

I agree that RFC 4514 says that "Applications that require the
reconstruction of the DER form of the value SHOULD NOT use the string
representation of attribute syntaxes when converting a distinguished
name to the LDAP format." But your proposed wording says:

Section 5.2 of RFC 4514 warns that when reversibility of the
distinguished name string representation back to its initial BER or
DER form is required (as would commonly be the case in XML Signature
validation), then attribute values which are not of type
PrintableString "SHOULD use the hexadecimal form prefixed by the number
sign ('#'
U+0023) as described in the first paragraph of Section 2.4 (of RFC 4514)".

I don't agree with that wording, specifically the part "attribute values
which are not of type PrintableString ..." RFC 4514 doesn't say that. It
was only using PrintableString as an example in the previous paragraph.
I think it is up to us to recommend which attribute values should be
encoded as hexadecimal, and I think RFC 3280 should strongly influence
our recommendation.

Having said that, I must admit I'm a little rusty on the different
formats of directory strings. So I'm probably going to need to keep my
action item open longer while I investigate this more thoroughly.

> If others agree with your suggestion about using the OID form for
> non-standard attribute names, we should definitely add that and include an
> example. Would you be able to provide that example?

Yes, and there is already an example in RFC 4514. Juan Carlos, can you
add a test case to your document for this?

Thanks,
Sean