Standalone document VC and WFC inconsistency

From: Rob Lugt <roblugt@elcel.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 06:52:16 -0400 (EDT)
To: <xml-editor@w3.org>
Cc: <public-xml-testsuite@w3.org>, "Karl Waclawek" <karl@waclawek.net>

Recent changes to the XML Conformance Tests have highlighted an
inconsistency in the XML rec regarding standalone documents and external
entity declarations.

The conformance test changes have re-classified 3 test files from validity
error to not-wf.  These files contain a standalone="yes" declaration, yet
reference entities which are declared in the external DTD subset.

Karl Waclawek has pointed out that this condition represents a
well-formedness error because it falls foul of WFC: Entity Declared.

I agree with Karl's interpretation, but the rec also makes this a validity
error.  The second item in the bullet list in VC: Standalone Document
Declaration states that a document should not reference an
externally-declared entity from within a standalone document.

I presume that the WFC should take precedence over the VC and, for clarity,
the VC should therefore be removed.  Do you agree?

Regards
Rob Lugt
ElCel Technology