Re: Yet Another V2 Request: Extension Functions via XSLT 2

On 8 August 2013 09:24, Toman, Vojtech <vojtech.toman@emc.com> wrote:
> See also a similar request in an older thread on xproc-dev:
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xproc-dev/2012Jan/0023.html
>
> There is, I believe, also a similar entry in the XProcVNext wiki.
>
> But what about simply allowing to use XProc steps as XPath extension functions? That seems like a more robust and idiomatic solution than introducing "magic" mechanisms for native importing of XSLT/XQuery/whatnot modules.

I agree that we should consider allowing folks to do this as well.

but I still opt for overloading of p:import as it would aid adoption …
a developer does not want to have to rewrite all their func libs into
XProc steps … if they have an existing investment in xquery/xslt they
can be up and running with their libs immediately. Not to mention its
boring to have to maintain a single function lib across both
xquery/xslt and now xproc.