RE: Version attribute issues

Good catch. What about simply renaming p:xslt/@version to
p:xslt/@xslt-version?

Regarding the nested p:declare-step, I think it does inherit the version
information (at least in our implementation, it does). Section 2.13
currently says:

"The version identified applies to the element on which the version
attribute appears and all of its descendants, unless or until another
version is explicitly identified."

Regards,
Vojtech