Re: standard components edits

Alex Milowski writes:

> On 4/16/07, Henry S. Thompson <ht@xxxxx> wrote:

> . . .
> Nice.  That trick gets written down! :)

Thanks!

>> Should we provide a micro-component for this case, e.g.

>> ?

> Since you can do this with xinclude, I think this is  OK to leave alone.

>> We could then say that compact syntax for RelaxNG or XQuery query docs
>> must be wrapped in specified elements, and then their secondary inputs
>> are to a limited extent polymorphic, distinguished by their document
>> elements, as between full/compact for Relax-NG and XQueryX/text for
>> XQuery.

> Right now we're defining a step-vocabulary element for XQuery.

And for Relax-NG, right.

> I think we could define an extra step vocabulary element for text
> wrappers and then steps like relax can use that.

You appear to be contradicting yourself -- I suggested defining a
micro-component to wrap text above, and you said not needed. . .

> Unfortunately, XQuery isn't all text but may not have a document element
> (e.g. the "declare namepace f="...";" in the prolog).  As such, that element
> needs to be different.

I don't see why.  The whole point of parse="text" is that it gives you
_exactly_ what you want as the text content of the document element,
for better or worse, with markup escaped and everything.  So why is a
special case needed for XQuery?

ht
- --
                     Half-time member of W3C Team