Re: Match patterns or select patterns?

Norm/Alex,

> Yes, let's. I've always thought the attribute name "select" was a
> clue. :-)
>
> Given that we will be using select expressions in other places, like
> the tests on choose/when, I think it's going to be clearer to users
> if we use select expressions everywhere.
>
> What have others been thinking?

My understanding is that those are XPath expressions.

An XProc implementation can recognize a subset of XPath and use its
own streaming implementation for those. For the other XPath
expressions that don't fit in the subset the implement will use an
off-the-shelf XPath library. The implementation will want to choose
that subset wisely so "most of the cases" fall in that subset. And it
seems to me that this applies not only to the viewport, but also to
any other construct that uses a 'select'.

Alex
--
Blog (XML, Web apps, Open Source):
http://www.orbeon.com/blog/