Re: Sub-pipelines

Alessandro Vernet wrote:
> Norm/Rui,
>
> Backtracking a little bit: I agree that we need sub-pipelines, that
> is, the ability to call a pipeline from a pipeline. However, do we
> really need to be able to define those sub-pipelines in the same XML
> file? If we don't, we may not need a special syntax to call
> sub-pipeline (like the <p:call-pipeline> considered in this thread).
>
> In fact, we could consider that we have a pre-defined component called
> "pipeline" that just runs pipeline, just like "xslt" runs a
> stylesheet:

> Alex

Personally, I can live just with externally defined pipelines, but I
understand if there is a need to define other pipelines internally
(somewhat like a function). In the latter case, I guess that the
execution component step, as we would end up with two different
semantics for sub-pipelines specification and execution:

Opting for the <p:call-pipeline /> solution, it may have some impact in
the pipeline language: if the step flow is defined by document order, we
may end up with an awkward syntax; otherwise, if the flow is explicitly
defined by connecting inputs and outputs, then i guess it's ok.

Rui