Re: Naming

Norm Walsh wrote:
> / Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com> was heard to say:
> | The main point of my suggestion was the nesting of some element within
> | a port declaration in order to provide the binding for the port. I'm
>
> I guess I'm confused then.

I was trying to address the confusing way in which we had two elements
(declare-input and input) doing three things (declaring, binding, and
declaring-and-binding). We had:

<component name="xslt">
   <declare-input port="source" />
   <declare-input port="stylesheet" />
   <declare-output port="result" />
</component>

<step kind="xslt">
   <input port="source" source="validated!result" />
   <input port="stylesheet" href="style.xsl" />
</step>

<group>
   <declare-input port="source" source="validated!result" />
   <declare-output port="result" source="inner-step!result" />
   ... steps ...
</group>

something similar) for binding, with the binding element nested inside
the declaration when you wanted to do both:

<component name="xslt">
   <input port="source" />
   <input port="stylesheet" />
   <output port="result" />
</component>

<step kind="xslt">
   <pipe port="source" source="validated!result" />
   <pipe port="stylesheet" href="style.xsl" />
</step>

<group>
   <input port="source">
     <pipe source="validated!result" />
   </input>
   <output port="result">
     <pipe source="inner-step!result" />
   </output>
   ... steps ...
</group>

You seem to be suggesting that we just use <input>/<output> for all of
them and be content with the fact that the attributes allowed on
<input>/<output> will change in different contexts:

<component name="xslt">
   <input port="source" />
   <input port="stylesheet" />
   <output port="result" />
</component>

<step kind="xslt">
   <input port="source" source="validated!result" />
   <input port="stylesheet" href="style.xsl" />
</step>

<group>
   <input port="source" source="validated!result" />
   <output port="result" source="inner-step!result" />
   ... steps ...
</group>

I'm OK with that as a solution, I just had the impression that other
people weren't.

Cheers,

Jeni
--