Re: FW: W3C XML ID ambiguity

On Friday, April 22, 2005, 11:22:23 PM, Elliotte wrote:

EH> Chris Lilley wrote:

>> EH> The only reason to use xml:id is an adamant belief that all names should
>> EH> have colons in them. Namespaces have long since been recognized as an
>> EH> ungodly mess and an ugly kludge. It's well past time we stopped
>> EH> enforcing that kludge on every new spec despite very good reasons to go
>> EH> down a different path.
>>
>> Sure, if you don't mind a few years of churn and if you have something
>> better.

EH> I did say "new spec". There's no churn here. xmlid is something better.
EH> xml:id looks more broken every day. Let's accept it and move on.

I assumed you were meaning to replace namespaces in general, not just
replace namespaces in one special case with one attribute in the xml
namespace (or reserved naming partition or whatever the set of tokens
that matches xml and doesn't match xml: is called)

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead