Re: FW: W3C XML ID ambiguity

From: Elliotte Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 17:22:23 -0400
To: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
CC: "Bassetti, Ann" <ann.bassetti@boeing.com>, public-xml-id@w3.org, "Bugbee, Larry" <larry.bugbee@boeing.com>, "Henry S. Thompson" <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>, Liam Quin <liam@w3.org>, Bert Bos <bert@w3.org>, "Reid, Travis S" <travis.s.reid@boeing.com>, "Gerstmann, Jerry P" <jerry.p.gerstmann@boeing.com>, "Meadows, Joe" <joe.meadows@nobs.ca.boeing.com>

Chris Lilley wrote:

> EH> The only reason to use xml:id is an adamant belief that all names should
> EH> have colons in them. Namespaces have long since been recognized as an
> EH> ungodly mess and an ugly kludge. It's well past time we stopped
> EH> enforcing that kludge on every new spec despite very good reasons to go
> EH> down a different path.
>
> Sure, if you don't mind a few years of churn and if you have something
> better.

I did say "new spec". There's no churn here. xmlid is something better.
xml:id looks more broken every day. Let's accept it and move on.