Re: TAG Last Call comments on xml:id

On Tuesday, December 7, 2004, 10:51:28 AM, Daniel wrote:

DV> On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 12:58:59AM +0100, Chris Lilley wrote:
>> The TAG would however still be interested to know how Core plans to test
>> xml:id in the Candidate Review period to ensure that the constraints in
>> the document are adequately exercised. Are there any XML processors
>> (schema or DTD based) that already implement this, or do you know of

DV> libxml2 implements xml:id, maybe not as of the last draft, but very
DV> closely. It also has DTD, RelaxNG and an incomplete W3C XML Schemas
DV> support.

Hi DV!

Great news. So, it would be possible to test what happens if xml:id is
decalred to be, say CDATA i the DTD, that sort of thing.

DV> Support was added in version 2.6.9 released Apr 18 2004. If you use recent
DV> Linux, MacOS X or a Solaris your version of libxml2 is likely to have
DV> xml:id support enabled by default.

$ xmllint -version
xmllint: using libxml version 20613
   compiled with: DTDValid FTP HTTP HTML C14N Catalog XPath
   XPointer XInclude Iconv Unicode Regexps Automata Schemas

does xml:id support need to be compiled in specially or would it be in
the build above (on cygwin, in my case).

>> implementations in the works? What about DOM implementations, CSS
>> implementations, and implementations that resolve barename fragment
>> identifiers in XML resources?

DV>   The XPointer/XPath/XSLT/XMLDSig implementations based on libxml2 should
DV> already make use of xml:id if present in the instances.

That would be excellent. It should mainly be a case of checking that
getElementBtId is working as expected, that XPath is finding elements by
xml:id and so on.

DV> I'm not sure about librsvg SVG implementation it would need some
DV> checking.

Thanks, I will ask them.

DV> Daniel

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group