XSL/XQuery comments on xml:id

From: Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 11:13:22 -0000
To: <public-xml-id@w3.org>
Cc: "'XPath'" <w3c-xsl-query@w3.org>

The XSL and XQuery working groups, meeting jointly, agreed the following
comments on the proposed xml:id specification:

(a) The two bullet points in appendix C that attempt to define the impact on
XPath 1.0 and 2.0 should be removed before xml:id becomes a Recommendation,
to avoid any potential for inconsistency with decisions subsequently made by
the XSL and XQuery working groups.

(b) The sentence that appears in both D.1 and D.2 "Such attributes may or
may not be recognized processors, including xml:id processors." seems to
have gone wrong somewhere. We suspect "recognized" should be "recognized
by".

Michael Kay
for the joint XSL and XQuery working groups

Note: we have no substantive technical comments on the normative part of the
specification. However, we still have some work to do to determine the
precise impact on XPath and the data model. For example, we need to decide
how to handle xml:id errors. Although these are not fatal as far as the
"xml:id processor" is concerned, XPath/XSLT/XQuery presumably acts in this
case as the "application" and therefore has the option of treating them as
fatal at that level.

Our ref: ACTION A-226-02