Re: XInclude 1.1 issue

Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz> writes:
> On 12.9.2014 13:45, John Cowan wrote:
>>> Another option is to say that if xml:base is copied, the absolute
>>> base URI is used as the attribute's value.
>>
>> I think the latter is better.  No special treatment is needed for xml:lang,
>> because the meaning of its value is absolute and does not depend on the
>> previous value.
>
> Speaking of this, it migth be interesting to add special treatment for
> xml:id. If xml:id is empty on <xi:include/> then it would be useful to
> remove xml:id from transcluded content to prevent duplicate IDs on
> content included more then once.

I don't believe it's valid for xml:id to be empty. As you well know,
the number and variety of strategies for dealing with duplicate links
and references to them are many and varied. The point of copying
namespace qualified attributes is to allow a document author to add
metadata which will support the particular strategy the author wants.
I don't think we should do anything special with xml:id.

> Another possibility is to exclude xml:* attributes from copying, use
> custom attributes and do any ID corrections on application level.

It's true. xml:lang and xml:base are already handled separately. We
could say that xml:* attributes are ignored by XInclude attribute
copying. Not sure how I feel about that.

I should look through the minutes and see what the arguments were when
last we talked about it.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--