Minutes for XML Core WG telcon of 2014 February 5

Attendees
---------
Loren
Norm
Paul
Jirka
Henry
David
John xx:15

[7 organizations (9 with proxies) present out of 10]

Regrets
-------
Daniel, proxy to the chair
Mohamed, proxy to the chair

Absent organizations
--------------------
Innovimax (with regrets, proxy to the chair)
Red Hat (with regrets, proxy to the chair)
W3C

Our next telcon is February 19.
Norm, Henry, Jirka give regrets.

> 1. Accepting the minutes from the last telcon [3] and
>   the current task status [2] (have any questions, comments,
>   or corrections ready by the beginning of the call).

Minutes at
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2014Jan/0014
Accepted.

> 2. Miscellaneous administrivia and document reviews.
>
> XML Potential Errata
> --------------------
> Comment that "or by the Byte Order Mark" is lacking in section 4.3.3:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xml-editor/2013OctDec/0002
>
> Comment that an entity cannot "begin" with a BOM as suggested in
> section 4.3.3:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xml-editor/2013OctDec/0003
>
> ACTION to John:  Review and comment on the above two comments
> on the discussion of BOMs in section 4.3.3 of the XML spec.

ACTION to John continued.

> ----
>
> Comment about documents with an "empty DTD":
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2014Jan/thread#msg8
> and
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xml-editor/2014JanMar/
>
> Henry suggests we could probably make the XML spec clearer here;
> see also his comments at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xml-editor/2014JanMar/0004
>
> Paul drafted a response and there was some discussion at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2014Jan/thread#msg19
> and also at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2014Jan/thread#msg20
>
> Paul just sent out a slightly modified DRAFT #2 at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2014Feb/0001
>
> ACTION especially to Jirka, Henry, John:  Review Paul's latest draft at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2014Feb/0001

Looked okay to Norm.

Henry was okay with the draft as an answer to the current
issue, though he may want to use different wording for any
actual changes we decide to make to the spec.

Henry points out that certain tools do use the existence or
not of a DTD to validate or not.  He points out that some
questions such as when validation should be done on a document
remain unanswered.

ACTION to Paul:  Send out Draft #2--with possibly some extra
wording about unanswered questions--as the response to the issue.

> Submitting XML Schema 1.1 to ISO
> --------------------------------
> See also
> https://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#xml-schema
>
> We have decided we will first publish XML Schema 1.1 2E (with
> approved errata). After that, we would send XML Schema 1.1 2E
> (only) to ISO.
>
> Loren has offered to do the editorial duties, and David
> talked to CMSMCQ about getting some more help in the details.
> It looks like there are 3 bugs for Structures, none for Datatypes,
> but check with Michael.
>
> Henry might be able to help with the tool chain needed to
> publish XML Schema 1.1.
>
> ACTION to Loren and David: Produce a publication-ready version
> of XML Schema 1.1 2E incorporating the approved errata.

ACTION to Loren and David continued.

> Reviewing HTML5 Polyglot Markup
> -------------------------------
> We've been asked to review something at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2014Feb/0000
> though I'm requesting clarification at
> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/chairs/2014JanMar/0076
> about just what we've supposed to review.

It's not clear just what we're being asked to review,
but Norm has a copy of the spec and will review it.

John didn't remember any issues.

ACTION to Norm:  Review the HTML5 Polyglot Markup spec.

> 3.  XML Test Suite.
>
> See also http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#xml-test-suite
>

> 4. LEIRIs--see http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#leiri
>
> We have planned to issue the following spec editions referencing
> LEIRIs (and any outstanding errata):
>
> * XML 1.0 6th Edition (John to be editor)
> * XML 1.1 3rd Edition (John to be editor)
> * XInclude 3rd Edition (Paul to be editor)
>
> but all this is on hold awaiting resolution of IRIbis.
>

> 5.  XML Media types (3023bis)
>
> See also http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#xml-media
>
> Latest IETF draft is -06 dated December 5 at
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-appsawg-xml-mediatypes-06.html
>
> Subsequently, there was further discussion of Appendix B and how
> to reference it; see
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2013Nov/thread#msg21
>
> Henry indicates the IETF review has shown considerable
> interest in adding something along the following lines:
>
>  Going forward, XML producers SHOULD use UTF-8 exclusively
>  and it SHOULDN'T have any BOM. For compatibility with existing
>  implementations, the following processing rules are given....
>
> John is concerned that this is put on *producers* rather
> than transmitters. He says it's perfectly reasonable for
> producers to produce other encodings locally.
>
> Henry replies that (and this could/should be made clearer)
> "XML producers" _means_ "XML producers of entities for
> delivery by MIME-compliant means".
>
> ACTION to Henry:  Edit 3023bis to suggest that XML producers
> of entities for delivery by MIME-compliant means SHOULD always
> produce BOM-less UTF-8.

ACTION to Henry continued.

> 6.  XInclude 1.1--see http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#xinclude
>
> On 2012 February 14, we published
> XInclude 1.1 Requirement and Use Cases
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xinclude-11-requirements/
>
> On 9 October 2012, we published our FPWD of XInclude 1.1 at
> http://www.w3.org/XML/2012/10/WD-xinclude-11-20121009/
>
> On 15 January 2013, we published our (first) Last Call of
> XInclude 1.1 at
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2013/WD-xinclude-11-20130115/
> and Paul sent the transition announcement at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2013Jan/0012
> (also cc-ing the chairs mailing list).
> On 2013 October 8, we published the XInclude 1.1 CR at
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2013/CR-xinclude-11-20131008/
>
> Norm reports that Michael Kay's code just accesses Xerces code,
> so Norm might have to work with Xerces.
>
> DV reports that he is busy and so cannot commit to a deadline
> for adding XInclude 1.1 support to libxml.
>
> ACTION to Norm:  Continue to work toward getting XInclude 1.1
> implementations and document them in our implementation report.

Some progress, but
ACTION to Norm continued.

Norm may see if he knows anyone still working on Xerces.

Jirka may see if someone from Oxygen may help with the
Xerces work.

> 7. MicroXML
>
> MicroXML is not in our new charter, but we can discuss it.
> We will leave this as an ongoing item in our standing agenda.
>

> paul
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core
> [2] http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#tasks
> [3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2013Dec/0002