Re: Agenda for XML Core WG telcon of 2013 February 20

Paul writes:

> . . .
> Henry and Paul think the XML Core WG should send an email
> to the Web Applications Working Group (public-webapps@w3.org)
> to reinstate the parts of the xml decl that are in the Infoset.
>
> ACTION to Henry:  Draft the email and send to the XML Core list
> for WG approval.  Paul's email at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2013Jan/0017
> has some pointers and details.

I propose the following:

   The XML Core Working Group notes with concern the proposed [1]
   removal from DOM Core of the xmlEncoding, xmlStandalone and
   xmlVersion members of the Document interface.

   The XML Infoset spec [2] says that standalone, version, and the
   character encoding scheme are part of the information content of an
   XML document.  They are relevant to application processing in
   general and essential for any application which attempts faithful
   reserialization.

   Accordingly we request that these members be re-instated.

   We note that there are other XML-related features which are
   likewise candidates for removal, and expect to follow up with
   respect to a number of these.

   Thank you,

   Paul Grosso for the XML Core WG

   [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-dom-20121206/#dom-core