Re: Namespace well-formed external parsed entities?

"Grosso, Paul" <pgrosso@ptc.com> writes:
> A document is namespace well-formed if:
>
> 1.  it is XML.
> 2.  All element and attribute names contain either zero or one colon.
> 3.  No entity names, processing instruction targets, or notation names
>     contain any colons.
> 4.  It conforms to the following namespace constraints:
>   a.  Reserved Prefixes and Namespace Names (xml: and xmlns:)
>   b.  Prefix Declared
>   c.  No Prefix Undeclaring
>   d.  Attributes Unique
>
> About the only subtlety I see wrt entities is whether one says
> the namespace declaration must be in the entity itself or can
> be "inherited" from the "load environment" (in a fashion somewhat
> similar to what the XPointer xmlns() scheme allows one to do
> for xpointers).

That's one complication.

> Are there other complications?

Only that the Namespaces REC speaks specifically of the namespace
well-formedness of "documents" and an external parsed entity isn't a
document.

Michael Kay proposed, basically, a definition that said if you added a
wrapper around the content of the external parsed entity, the result
was namespace well-formed. I asked how that was different from saying
that each top-level element was namespace well-formed.

Then I proposed that the Core WG might have an opinion. :-)

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh