Minutes for XML Core WG telcon of 2010 March 10

Attendees
---------
John xx:13
Glenn
Norm
Paul
Henry, W3C
Henry, U of E
Jirka
Daniel xx:18

[8 organizations (9 with proxies) present out of 11]

Regrets
-------
Richard
Mohamed, proxy to Jirka

Absent organizations
--------------------
Innovimax (with regrets, proxy to Jirka)
Opera (with regrets)
François Yergeau

> 1. Accepting the minutes from the last telcon [3] and
>    the current task status [2] (have any questions, comments,
>    or corrections ready by the beginning of the call).

Accepted.

> 2. Miscellaneous administrivia and document reviews.
>
> Note:  Our telcon on March 24 will be during the period that
> is after North America goes to daylight time and before the
> UK and Europe go on daylight time, hence that telcon will
> occur one hour earlier local time for those in the UK and
> Europe.

Henry is retiring as staff contact.  We do not yet know
who will become our new staff contact.

Many thanks to Henry for his staff-contacting to date.

Henry gives regrets for the 24th.

Done:  http://www.w3.org/2005/09/xml-id-errata#E02

Done:  http://www.w3.org/2005/09/xml-id-errata#E03

Done:  http://www.w3.org/2005/09/xml-id-errata#E01

> 8.  XML Base 2nd Ed--see http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#xml-base
>

> 9.  XLink 1.1.
>
> See also http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#xlink1.1
>
> The XLink 1.1 PR was published at
>  http://www.w3.org/TR/2010/PR-xlink11-20100225/
> and the review is underway per
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2010Feb/0030
> Be sure your AC rep completes the review for your organization.
>

> 10.  XInclude 3rd Ed--see http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#xinclude
>

> 11.  Associating Stylesheets.
>
> See also http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#assoc-ss
>
> Associating stylesheets with XML version 1.0 is at:
> http://www.w3.org/1999/06/REC-xml-stylesheet-19990629/
>
> The Errata document is at:
> http://www.w3.org/1999/06/REC-xml-stylesheet-19990629/errata
>
> We are working toward a PER for AssocSS 2nd Edition.
>
> We have made our latest editor's draft at
> http://www.w3.org/XML/2009/12/xml-stylesheet/
> publicly available for review and announced it in various fora.
>
> The issues list for AssocSS at
> http://www.w3.org/XML/2010/01/disposition.html
> with proposed resolutions for all comments.
>
> ACTION to Henry:  Propose some new words for holman-1.
>
> ACTION to Henry:  Delete the final sentence of the body
> (done) and craft Appendix B.
>
> ACTION to Henry:  Provide a rationale for making this
> a second edition.
>
> Simon reviewed the latest DoC and made some comments at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2010Feb/0029

Henry has produced an updated (2010 March 10) draft at
http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/2009/09/xml-stylesheet.html

Paul made some comments at
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2010Mar/0011
most of which were minor and accepted.

We discussed the wording (under charset):

 The value is advisory in that it *must* be ignored if the referenced
 stylesheet itself provides character encoding information, either
 explicitly via an HTTP header, or implicitly via its media type,
 as in the case of XML documents.

The problem is that it's not the xml-stylesheet processor that
can do the ignoring (since it doesn't know about http headers
and such), and we cannot put a *must* on an application since
we aren't writing a standard for applications.

ACTION to Henry:  Draft wording about the purpose of the charset
value, pointing out that encoding info could come from other places.

We note that there is a similar problem with "type".

ACTION to Henry:  Draft wording about the purpose of the type value.

ACTION to Henry and Simon:  Produce a draft ready for public review
in http://www.w3.org/XML/2009/12/xml-stylesheet/.

ACTION to Paul:  Announce the new editor's draft
and request commentor acceptance of resolutions.

> After we get acceptance from commentors, take it to PER.
>

> 12.  xml-model
>
> See also http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#assoc-schemas
>
> We have published a first draft for public comment at
> http://www.w3.org/XML/2010/01/xml-model/
>
> The DoC is at
> http://www.w3.org/XML/2010/02/xml-model-comments.html
> with some proposed resolutions.

issue 1:  We agree to add schematypens.  Jirka send specific
wording to the mailing list.  Paul will insert it into the
spec and insert the table as an informative appendix.

issue 2:  Paul will alter the spec (shoulds to must and
allow other pseudo-attributes).

issue 3:  Is like the issue in xml-stylesheet pi with "type".
Paul will copy Henry's wording from xml-stylesheet.

issue 4:  Paul will add the suggested wording to draft.

issue 5:  Paul will add the suggested wording to draft.

ACTION to Paul:  Produce a new editor's draft.

ACTION to Jirka:  Update the DoC.