Re: Minutes for XML Core WG telcon of 2010 January 27

Daniel Veillard wrote:

> But honnestly I think the concept is a bit flawed, to me a schemas is
> a contract between a sender and a receiver of documents, and if you
> want to check something you received fetching the contract after
> receiving the document doesn't prove much.

I would like to prevent diving into this permathread.

xml-model is not saying that it is good idea to store schema location
inside XML instance. In many situations it is much better, robust,
scalable, secure, futureproof, ... to store schema association
separately from XML instance.

That being said there are still use cases where users prefer storing
schema information inside XML instances and there is no standardized way
for doing it now. xml-model tries to fill this gap.

My initial draft of xml-model contained the following paragraph in the
introductory part:

"It should be noted that this part of ISO/IEC 19757 is not meant as a
replacement for other technologies that provide more general and
indirect schema association features like NVDL and XProc. This part of
ISO/IEC 19757 is complementary technology which can be used when it is
necessary to store ad-hoc schema associations directly inside XML document."

We might reintroduce something like this into the next draft of
xml-model in order to make it crystal clear what's the purpose of xml-model.

			Jirka