Re: Assoc SS issue list

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 18:45:38 +0200, John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org> wrote:

> 7: I'd like to see the requirements tightened here.  Specifically:

I agree that there should be tight requirements for authors.

>         href MUST be a LEIRI

LEIRI seems to allow whitespace. Why would we want to allow whitespace in
href? In HTML, that's considered an error.

>         type MUST have the syntax of a RFC 2045 media type

It seems HTML5 references RFC 2046 for <link type>.

>         media MUST be a Name or comma-separated list of Names

Why Name?

Media Queries can look like

    media="all and (max-width: 500px)"

The Media Queries spec says:

"The media queries syntax can be used with HTML, XHTML, XML [XMLSTYLE] and
the @import and @media rules of CSS."

"Just like HTML, the [XMLSTYLE] specification has not yet been updated to
use media queries in the media pseudo-attribute."

http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-mediaqueries/

>         charset MUST be a Name

Why a Name?

HTML5 says about <meta charset>:

"The value must be a valid character encoding name, and must be the
preferred name for that encoding. [IANACHARSET]"

http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/semantics.html#character-encoding-declaration

>         alternate MUST be "yes" or "no"

Agreed.

> or the PI is ignored. Alternately I can live with ignoring just the
> bad pseudo-attribute.

I think handling of invalid values should be consistent with HTML <link
rel="stylesheet">:

href: resolve against document's URL according to Web addresses, using
utf-8 as the URL's encoding. If this returns an error, ignore the PI.

media: refer to Media Queries. If the query evaluates to false, ignore the
PI.

type: if it is a type the UA does not support, the UA may opt to not fetch
the resource.

charset: HTML5 does not have <link charset> at all. But if we keep it, and
the value is an encoding the UA does not support or is not an encoding
name, then ignore the pseudo-attribute.

> 10: reject a, can live with b, prefer c iii or c iv if my version of 7
> gets accepted.

Actually I just realized that 7 would never kick in for media="", since a
media query either evaluates to true or false, and we would probably want
to not apply the style sheet when it evaluates to false (that's the point
of media='').

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software