Re: Appling inheritance rule to xml:base, was Re: FINAL minutes for the XML

Daniel Veillard writes:

>   Hum, assume you don't have a fixed base on a, then you force generating
> a base depending on the document base,, which mean suddenly canonicalization
> of a document depends on how you retrieved it (e.g. a file access would
> end up with file:///localpath/test/test while from a web access you would
> get http://example.org/test/test , I don't think it's acceptable either.
>
>> Can't we come up with a way to get this effect?
>
>   I definitely prefer a solution leading to false negative i.e. we fail to
> canonicalize in the same way, than a situation leading to false positive
> where the canonicalization result in a broken result.
>   We already discussed in the past especially with Richard generating
> relative xml:base when possible, maybe we need to formalize this and
> put it as the algorithm to compute the canonicalized result.

So we have been discussing this on the call today, and the straw man
reads, roughly:

   Use the name *EII* for an element information item to be
   canonicalized, and *EIIC* for the element information item
   corresponding to *EII* in the result of parsing the canonical
   serialization of the node-set containing *EII*.

   Synthesize an xml:base attribute for *EII* iff the *EIIC*'s [base
   URI] would otherwise be different from *EII*'s [base URI]."

   If the only absolute URI involved in the calculation of [base URI]
   for an element is the document [base URI], then when you need to
   output an xml:base based on an element's [base URI], relativize wrt
   the document base.

So for example, given

<a>
  <b xml:base="test">
     <c xml:base="test"/>
  </b>
</a>

with the 'b' being clipped out, we get

<a>
  <c xml:base="test/test"/>
</a>

This leaves only the case where the document [base URI] is not known.
Will this work to avoid a negative impact of '../../...'?:

  In the absence of a document [base URI], assume one of the form
    "file:/a/a/a/"
  with more 'a' steps then the total number of '..' steps in all the
  xml:base in the document

ht
- --
                     Half-time member of W3C Team