Re: c14n xml:base, draft for a solution

Hi Richard,

I tried to address all your comments.

Konrad

Richard Tobin wrote:
> I can't really make sense of that sentence!

I think what I was trying to say was:

Given this "join URI" function for xml:base fix up the processing of the
attribute axis of an element E in the node-set will be enhanced further.

> If we are describing xml:base fix-up, only xml:base is relevant, not
> other non-simple-inhertable attributes.

The element nodes along E's ancestor axis are now examined for all
occurrences of xml:base, that have been omitted (i.e. they are not in
the node-set).
> Is it possible for multiple portions to be omitted?

Yes, absolutely.
> I think we need a more formal statement.  Let E be an included element
> whose successive ancestors E1 ... En are omitted and En+1 is included.
> Then fix-up is only performed if one of E1 ... En has an xml:base
> attribute.  In that case let X1 ... Xm be the values of the xml:base
> attributes on En ... E1 E (in order from outermost to innermost).  The
> sequence of values is reduced to a single value by first combining
> X1 with X2, then the result with X3, and so on.

Given the way the C14n Processing model works
http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-c14n#ProcessingModel
I'd suggest the following text.

Let E be an element in the node set whose ancestor axis contains
successive elements E1...En that are
omitted and E=En+1 is included. Then fix-up is only performed if one of
E1 ... En has an xml:base
attribute.  In that case let X1 ... Xm be the values of the xml:base
attributes on En...E1 E
(in order from outermost to innermost).  The sequence of values is
reduced to a single value by first
combining X1 with X2, then the result with X3, and so on by calling the
"join URI" function described
previously until the new value for E's xml:base attribute remains. The
result may also be null or empty
(xml:base="") in which case xml:base MUST NOT be rendered.

--
Konrad Lanz, IAIK/SIC - Graz University of Technology
Inffeldgasse 16a, 8010 Graz, Austria

Certificate chain (including the EuroPKI root certificate):
https://europki.iaik.at/ca/europki-at/cert_download.htm