FW: XML Core expects to publish a WG Note "Extending XLink 1.0"

FYI.

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin Duerst [mailto:duerst@w3.org]
Sent: Friday, 14 January, 2005 5:30
To: Paul Grosso; chairs@w3.org
Cc: w3t-comm@w3.org; webreq@w3.org; timbl@w3.org; Steve Bratt
Subject: Re: XML Core expects to publish a WG Note "Extending XLink 1.0"

Hello Paul,

I have had a short look at the document. In general, it looks
very good, but I have some small comments, about proposal 3,
"Allow IRIs.".

First, the title of this proposal should be changed to something
like "Allow IRIs for XLink properties, such as role and arc types.".
This would make it much clearer that this is only one aspec related
to IRIs.

Second, there is the issue of upgrading xlink:href to use IRIs
more directly. The current spec for the value of the xlink:href
attribute is a very circumscript but simplified description of
what is essentially an IRI. Ideally, this would just be replaced
with a reference to the IRI spec (which should be issued as an
RFC very soon), but there are a few differences that have to
be carefully considered.

Independent of whether these changes can be made in the actual
document (with an apparent publication date of January 27, this
may be feasible or not), I hope that in particular the second
issue will noted for future work. I personally expect the
I18N Core WG to contact chairs when the IRI spec is published
to look at updating issues across specs.

Regards,    Martin.