From: chairs-request@w3.org On Behalf Of Williams, Stuart (HP Labs,
Bristol)
Sent: Friday, 07 January, 2005 9:52
Subject: Technical Plenary Disussion of "Extensibility and Versioning of
XML Languages".

Folks,

At last years technical plenary week the TAG had friutful meetings with
a number of WGs and hope to be available ins a similar manner through
the week of this  years' technical plenary.

One of the topics that the TAG are interested in discussing with
'stakeholders' is our issue #41 [1] "Extensibility and Versioning of XML
languages" [1]. We have some *draft* findings on the subject [2,3].

I think/believe that this is an issue that cuts across the interest of a
number of WGs and think that there *may* be some benefit in a single
meeting with representatives from a number of WGs (so that each may hear
the other's pov) - representatives to try to have an effective meeting
of managable size.

I have already had some discussion with the chair of the XML Schema WG.
At least with respect to XML languages constrainted by XML Schema
schema's, addressing problems of versioning and evolution falls within
the scope of their current charter [4].

The topic/issue has also been the source of some discussion between that
TAG and the QA-WG with respect to general good practice principles that
should be observed in developing new XML languages.

I think that the topic is of potential interest to particpants in the:

	Compound Document Formats WG,
	WSDL-WG,
	Multi-modal WG
	HTML-WG
	Others?

I am proposing that I attempt to organise a 'stakeholders' meeting one
either Monday (pm) or Tuesday of TP week. This would focus on the
requirements various WGs have that motivate work in this area.

It is likely that the TAG will meet separately with XML Schema WG to
discuss (amongst other things) how we make joint progress toward
solutions in the context of XML Schema.

There is also possible that "Extensibility and Versioning of XML
Languages" serves as a panel topic for the plenary day itself, in which
case it may be that we try to resource the panel from partipants at the
'stakeholders' meeting (if it happens) - at the very least I will try to
ensure good coordination with the organisers of any panel sessions.

Alternatively... it may be the case that a 'panel' session on the topic
is the only and most effective way discuss the topic.

I'd appreciate feedback particularly from:

	QA-WG			Karl Dubost
	CDF-WG		Dean Jackson
	WSDL-WG		Johnathan March, Hugo Haas
	Multi-Modal WG	Dave Raggett
	HTML-WG		Stephen Pemberton, Masayasu Ishikawa

on:

a) Whether a stakeholders meeting is a appeals or a whether a panel
session alone would be more effective.
b) Whether they could/would be interested appointing representatives to
participate in such a meeting.
c) Agenda items that they would want to see a meeting agenda.

Since time is short... I'd also appreciate responses ASAP.

Regards

Stuart Williams
--
[1] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/issues#XMLVersioning-41