Re: question: Increasing factor for XML vs Binary

The advantages of chunking are probably mostly solution-specific rather
than application specific.
In a format that supports incremental update but avoids overhead by not
being heap based, explicit chunking allows tuning of the cost for
insertion because it limits the maximum amount of data that needs to be
moved.

Chunking could also help a format to be more streamable and have lower
and more predictable buffer usage.  It is even conceivable that explicit
chunking could directly support aspects of signing, corruption
detection, and error recovery.

Deltas might help with some of the scenarios mentioned.

sdw

--
swilliams@hpti.com http://www.hpti.com Per: sdw@lig.net http://sdw.st