Re: Getting Serious about WebID Bootstrap

Excerpts from Kingsley Idehen's message of 2012-09-28 18:45:12 +0000:
> On 9/28/12 8:14 AM, ☮ elf Pavlik ☮ wrote:
> > Excerpts from Kingsley Idehen's message of 2012-09-28 11:36:21 +0000:
> >> All,
> >>
> >> Bootstrapping anything on the Web requires technology implementer to use
> >> (dog-food) whatever technology they seek to promote to others. Thus, I
> >> would like to encourage every participant in the RWW and WebID community
> >> groups to make a best-effort to start signing emails, moving forward.
> >>
> >> Naturally, these emails should be signed using an WebID watermarked
> >> X.509 certificate. Certificate generation choices include:
> >>
> >> 1. Native generators that come with your desktop OS -- Mac OS X,
> >> Windows, and Linux all include such a utility
> >> 2. Certificate generators from WebID IdPs -- I have a list here:
> >> http://delicious.com/kidehen/webid+webid_idp (ping me if you have a
> >> generator that's unlisted) .
> >>
> >> Over the last year or so, I've written a number of how-to guides [1]
> >> covering how to sign emails across all the major native email clients.
> >>
> >> Once again, if we don't sign our emails we loose a simple opportunity to
> >> showcase the utility of WebIDs and the WebID authentication protocol.
> >> Being able to follow-your-nose from a WebID that watermarks an email
> >> senders certificate is a very simple utility showcase for both WebID and
> >> Linked Data.
> >>
> >> We can do this!
> >>
> >> Links:
> >>
> >> 1. http://bit.ly/VTnxzz -- collection of G+ hosted howtos (for all the
> >> major native email clients) covering how to digitally sign emails .
> > currently i use terminal based client 'sup' (similar to mutt) which can sign using PGP, i consider switching to http://notmuchmail.org and use some browser based frontend to it ex. https://github.com/peterkeen/speedee
> >
> > any suggestions on signing emails using browser based email clients?
> >

> I am yet to encounter a hosted email system (bar ODS-Mail from us) that
> allows you send signed emails.
hmmm... i talk about open source webmail which i could patch myself if needed...
how do you do it in your ODS-Mail? i understand you need to do it from javascript using your client cert in a browser? all clues warmly welcomed :D thx!