Re: WebID-ISSUE-64 (redirects): Redirects [WebID Spec]

On 10/9/12 6:56 PM, Nathan wrote:
> Henry Story wrote:

>>> If the WebID changes, and there's no inference in play (e.g.,
>>> owl:sameAS), it has to be invalid. That's the nature of the
>>> underlying semantics of this identity verification protocol.
>
> Even with inference, or explicit statements, it has to be invalid.
>
> The core protocol consists of a two part key, each part is
> mathematically tied to the other, and the WebID protocol ties both
> parts to a URI identifier (private part is tied to the webid-uri via
> the cert, public part is tied to the webid-uri via dereferencing). Any
> URI to be used as an identifier for the agent involved in the
> protocol, must be present at each side, for the protocol to work. That
> is to say, it must be tied to both key parts, especially the private
> part.

Yes, but via inference (re. owl:sameAs relationship semantics) you can
infer that two WebIDs share a common referent i.e., they denote the same
entity. Of course, the WebID in the x.509 cert. is part of any such claim.

>> What would be useful would be some justfication for that statement.
>> An example would help. Take a WebID
>>    http://joe.example/#me
>>

>> We dereference
>>   http://joe.example/
>> which redirects with 303 to
>>   http://joe.example/people/card
>> which redirects with 301 to
>>   http://joe.org/people/card
>>
>> Does that now mean that
>>   http://joe.example/#me owl:sameAs http://joe.org/people/card#me ?
>
> No such inference is specified anywhere, but anybody is free to infer
> whatever they want from anything, including a trail of HTTP Requests
> and Responses, or a set of RDF statements.
>
> From a security standpoint, TLS and certificate presentation ties the
> webid-uri(s) present in the certificate to a private key. To then
> verify that they are authorised to use a different URI
> <http://joe.org/people/card#me> (via 30x redirects and/or RDF
> statements) we would need something returned from that URI to prove
> the owner of that URI held the private key - something traditionally
> done by the certificate presentation part of the protocol - and not
> just the public key, so some hash or signature in the RDF or headers
> of <http://joe.org/people/card> would help this assertion. Although,
> without it being a nonce, it'd be open to replay attacks, and of very
> limited value.
>
> Succinctly, as soon as the webid-uri changes, it is no longer bound to
> the private part, and the webid-protocol is no longer in effect, or
> proving anything.

Yes, but in an owl:sameAs relationship the URI won't be changing its the
implications that change :-)

Reasoning and inference context (e.g., in a SPARQL query)  is an issue
here, ultimately it needs some kind of caution in the specs.

Kingsley

> Best,
>
> Nathan

Founder & CEO