Re: OAUTH setup for webid : getting an ODS client to "Connect" to my profilepage

On 1/10/12 1:30 PM, Peter Williams wrote:
> Its a matter of tone at this point.
>

> Its obvious that semantic web can be a (huge) island in itself, doing a variant of X.500 authentication framework (updated for URIs). the closer to that stnadard it makes out (wth change of embodiment to URIs, RDF etc) the stronger postiion folks will be in a quite extensive array of patent foes, in the area of verifying public key sources.
>

> Its clear that it can scale in ways the public directory did not (though was supposed to). yes, it will have to compete against the managed cloud (that already aggregates directory forests, even now). But, one can see the future. I can already seem how Microsoft cloud-based CRM + ODATA is evolving into linked data.

Yes, and we can even show them the effects of Linked Data on a full
blown eCRM system. Even more so when sponging is applied. I do know the
OData folks, and they were initially focused on turning all office tools
users into publishers of structured data via OData. Thus, via our
middleware, you end up with an OData based graph that includes the
additional benefits of  de-referencable HTTP URIs -- since our proxy
URIs deliver implicit Name/Address disambiguation.

> but, if semweb is to be inclusive (so all the other stuff just drops away) it should be making alliances.

Yes, and Linked Data is a powerful bridge since it simply builds on the
structured data foundation [1].

> this is why I suggested your site be minting a saml2 token (but not using the saml2 protocol) to get the token from the cloud that populates the REST-ful www-authorization - already used live in odata.

Yes, and we can add that functionality. Our issue is more to do with
figuring out if we in the right church, then figuring out if the bride
is delayed in the motorcade or just not turning up at all :-)

> This uses those damn'ed certs, WITH their SAN URI, drawing upon the webid profile. This is also the gateway which will soon deliver the signed-json version of the signed SWT, coming shortly. .... which means signed json-encoded triples. yes, this is just another link - off the link response headers...

Yes, of course.

> I know of a certain software company that would be very interested in webid, if it were not such a "one off" - filled with angst about this and that, and everything else.
>

> By working WITH other groups formats one will have faster and less difficult uptake. one doesnt have to fall into their religion (eg. internet2 and UK academida has strange religions around SAML2 that exludes openid, and hammar stack is clearly a religion in its own right...and not just a cult). One simply shows, much as I learnerd at 22, just do it all ways. Its really not that hard to convert bit formats, and that includes signed bit formats - once one has a framework anticipating such.

Yes, and that's our fundamental approach. Protocols can be bridged to
other Protocols etc..

> If there is one thing this group needs to do in its next incarnation is ... become handshake independent - so the websso handshake (with certs and SANs) also induces a webid validation agent to do its thing. Im going to go do that know, as a demo. And, maybe even the SSL one too if Azure cooperates.
Okay !

Links:

1. http://lab.linkeddata.deri.ie/2010/star-scheme-by-example/ -- pretty
nice Linked Data introduction without any coercion taint .

Founder&  CEO