Re: Thank you for saving my (Peter Williams') sanity...

On 1/8/12 5:27 PM, Dan Brickley wrote:
> On 8 January 2012 19:57, Kingsley Idehen<kidehen@openlinksw.com>  wrote:
>
>> Yes, and the platform vendors are presented with two choices re. structured
>> data in HTML:
>>
>> 1. Microdata -- already supported by all the browser players and being
>> exploited by search engine players, today
>> 2. RDFa .
> You saw http://blog.schema.org/2011/11/using-rdfa-11-lite-with-schemaorg.html ?
>
> """As a result of our continued discussions and collaborations with
> publishers, implementers and standards-makers, we're pleased to give
> advance notice of a new way of adopting schema.org's structured data
> vocabulary. W3C's RDF Web Applications group are right now putting the
> finishing touches to the latest version of the RDFa standard. This
> work opens up new possibilities also for developers who intend to work
> with schema.org data using RDF-based tools and Linked Data, and
> defines a simplified publisher-friendly 'Lite' view of RDFa.
>
> Early adopters can follow the in-progress drafts (rdfa-core,
> rdfa-lite) while the W3C group work through the remaining details. We
> hope that our support for 'RDFa Lite', alongside Microdata, will allow
> publishers to focus more on what they want to say with their data,
> rather than on the details of its specific encoding as markup. We also
> want to take a moment to thank the members of the RDFa community for
> taking on board our feedback; making standards is hard work, and we
> believe this latest version of RDFa is a major contribution to the Web
> of structured data."""
>
> Dan

Dan,

I assume the above concurs with the position I hold re. equal treatment
for RDFa and Microdata re. WebID?

That's how I interpret this snippet from your post above:

"Early adopters can follow the in-progress drafts (rdfa-core, rdfa-lite)
while the W3C group work through the remaining details. We hope that our
support for 'RDFa Lite', alongside Microdata, will allow publishers to
focus more on what they want to say with their data, rather than on the
details of its specific encoding as markup."

I also believe:
https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/htmldata/raw-file/default/ED/microdata-rdf/20120107/index.html
, nullifies Henry's perpetual argument about mapping algorithms re.
Microdata and RDF.

Finally, I am hoping all of the following showcase RDFizer
implementations (beyond what we've had for a long time) re. Microdata to
RDF:

1. http://any23.org/ -- Any23 converter that makes the RDF variant of
eav/spo graphs from many syntaxes that includes Microdata (even better
for you its Open Source and Java)

2. http://rdf-translator.appspot.com/ -- ditto and it used RDFLib

3. http://rdf.greggkellogg.net/distiller -- ditto and Ruby based.

Founder&  CEO