Re: WebID equivalence

On 1/4/12 4:38 AM, Peter Williams wrote:
> So the experiment most went fine until the end - since on testing I
> note dthat the described resource when rendered only has pointers to
> the (inferred) cert:key entities. They are not embedded. This seems to
> be a side-effect of using the DESRIBE verb, which does fine when
> producing data for a browser - which enables folks to link around as
> usual.  It presumably confuses Validation agents expecting to have a
> self-contained document for the data source.
>
> Do we expect the machine validation agent to resolve such references,
> as a side-effect of the execution path formed for the particular query
> that might reference entities that are only available by FURTHER acts
> of de-referencing?
>
> or, is there a way of making the DESCRIBE verb always embed particular
> entities, such as the cert:key constructed object(s)?
>
> (I tried changing the DESCRIBE query, to have binding variables for
> cert:mod cert:exp, hoping that this would influence the construction.
> *B*ut that made no diffeence)

Peter,

SPARQL CONSTRUCT is a better option for this sort of endeavor. It gives
you full control of the graph that you are constructing. DESCRIBE
includes too many subtle assumptions that may not fit the task at hand.

You'll realize that SPARQL CONSTRUCT is a pretty powerful rules language
where head and body sit on a vertical as opposed to horizontal plane
(the case re. horn rules).

Kingsley

> having got a sparql query that describes a profile (due to inference)
> that my yorkporc2 name is is bound to a webfinger acct URI, and thence
> to a couple of cert:keys stored in the ODS repository of triples, Im
> going to make a cert whose SAN is the sparql protocol URI - whose
> describe verb generates the inferred profile on the fly. Lets see what
> happens at henrys site.
>

> > Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2012 21:39:12 -0500
> > From: kidehen@openlinksw.com
> > To: public-xg-webid@w3.org
> > Subject: Re: WebID equivalence

> many think is an Address as a Name, certainly not at first blush
> irrespective of deeper prowess. Use an Address for functionality folks
> intuitively associate with addresses e.g., data access. Use Names to
> Identity things.
> > > I a feeling this paragraph is meant to be fundamental to your
> point, but I honestly can't make head nor tail of it.
> >
> > Use a Name to Name things. Does an HTTP URI instinctively come
> across to
> > the typical Web Developer as a Name? It doesn't. It comes across an an
> > Address. The level of indirection is no more than 1.
> > >
> > > It's probably not worth the hassle of point out that both DN and
> subjectAltName are called “names” in X.509.
> >
> > You have a generic Name and a function specific Name (e.g. an Address).
> > In the CN examples I've given you have examples of two address types
> > i.e., http: scheme and mailto: scheme. The intuition of "Address" is
> > there. Likewise, the intuition of a generic name re. Subject
> Alternative
> > Name.
> >
> > > Only one (and even then, only parts of it) — the DN — is readily
> presented in interfaces, and where it is, it’s done so as a label.
> >
> > That isn't my the core issue here. Basically, the use as label doesn't
> > determine its semantics. Why are there examples of CN's with URLs all
> > over the place then?
> >
> > > The subjectAltName is an implementation device, unlike host-meta
> is or the Link HTTP response header.
> >
> > It's a slot for Names in the generic sense. You can use URIs as well as
> > other identifiers in this slot. Also please remember a URI != HTTP URI,
> > solely.
> >
> > [SNIP]
> >
> > --
> >
> > Regards,