Re: continuation: community or full working group

On 20 Oct 2011, at 14:54, Sergio Fernández wrote:

> What about to the idea already discussed of pushing WebID into the
> future Web Identity WG?

You mean this one?

http://www.w3.org/2011/08/webidentity-charter.html

This is a long term project to allow authentication via javascript in the browser. It will take two years to complete. The main advantage gained from this if we look at BrowserId is that sites will not need to put https on their servers. If that is the main advantage then of course that means that the protocol won't be that secure either.

We can do a lot in that time with the tools that are currently available it seems to me. If javascript  API in the browser turns out to do cryptography then something like browser id becomes possible, and we can then adapt WebID to work with that too. But there is not need to wait for that to be ready to continue with WebID [ foaf+ssl ]:

  - we have a synchronisation format: foaf+rdf serialisations
  - we can use the cryptography API in the browsers: TLS
  - and we can use HTTP as the identity API

I think we should participate in that group, but I think what we are doing here is complete to itself, and they would not want it to be the main focus.

Henry