Re: continuation: community or full working group

On 20 October 2011 13:48, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 20 October 2011 10:57, Henry Story <henry.story@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>  As we are nearing the end of the term of the XG (it is in 3 months or so) we need to ask how we shall continue: a community group or a Full Working group. We have something that is quite close to a standard, but we won't be able to clean it up completely in the time left for the group I think.
>>
>> In any case this is a process that is in constant evolution, and that will evolve more as we get to have people on board that wish to make larger deployments.
>
> Are both possible?

Community Group is easy; if a few people suggest a
not-obviously-insane, over-broad or overlapping group, it should go
through.

> Start with a community group then transition to WG if/when ready?

WGs involve a commitment of W3C staff time, effort and attention; plus
associated coordination costs for all other related groups.  They are
not so easily created. A CG can be a stepping stone to a WG, though.

A 3rd option might be to submit a proposal to continue this XG for n
more months, to finish up an initial spec without the disruption of
migrating to a CG. I'm not sure how W3C team would react, but it
sounds plausible to me (e.g. a 3-6 month extension).

Dan