Re: WebID video and demo

On 5/6/11 1:46 AM, peter williams wrote:
> [...]
> real estate firm).
>
> Wel that sounds easy. Sql in the cloud. Or blobs and tables. Or trivial
> webservices for CRUD data operations, perhaps with a token in the wwwauth
> field. POCO entity models, with factory classes that make it all trivial.
> Throw in a bit of aspect programming, or inversion of control. Throw some
> more java patterns in, for good measure.
>
> But, its not a strategy. Sure, things have moved around, and there is some
> multi-tenancy. But, no reason to move from my SAN to the cloud.
>
> 2 things are starting to change my mind, due to openid and webid. And its
> not openid protocol nor webid protocol that is the direct change vector. Its
> what the enable, in their ADVANCED uses.
>
> In openid, I was most interested in the XRI world. It was a bit interesting
> that XRI had what DANE wants to do (a hierarchy of naming records, with
> signed RRs). But, it was that the openXRI server showed something similar to
> what I way in data.fm. It was just in "structure" XML as the graphing basis,
> rather than RDF (as per the data.fm). the openXRI server  cleary showed how
> one made ones own little data cloud, having done a login from an openid.
>
> Having played a lot with the more mature products (ODS for the profile
> manager, and data.fm for the data space), I can see now that semweb is
> maturing to the point where I was with openXRI. And, it is a bit simpler
> than the XRI/XDI graphing basis. It's the same, but different. Same enough,
> so what I HOPED FOR as a side-effect of openid (get to personal named XDI
> graphs), I can get from the data.fm type world (different, most in the
> core).
>
> SO, Im VERY hopeful.
>
> I went through the ODS stuff quite carefully. I got to make 2 certs and 2
> keys (bound to different anchored graphs), and Im way past using
> foaf-a-matic type sites. Its enterprise grade (nearly). I got my data.fm
> spaces, then, merely by doing webid logon.
>
> This is the impressive part. I only hit it today. When I connected the dots
> that what I lost in XRI/XDI (when openid got reduced to an "irrelevant"
> SAML-blob-alternative) I got back in data.fm, now Im feeling much better
> about webid, and its bigger story. Ive got sparql, ive got sparql over https
> with clients certs, Ive got sparql with a writable port (guarded by webid
> client auth), and Ive got a XDI-like data space, in which to now build those
> advanced data-centric apps.
>
> And, its all user-centric, in the original sense that identity commons
> intended for the term (which had nothing to do with PGP saving the Russian
> refuseniks, etc, by flouting all authorities).
>
> I hope some writes a paper on the what it took to realize this topic. It
> will be worth reading. Now I get to articulate a stragegy for national scale
> upgrades, and I get to predict when it will occur, and what cost... and
> guess where to first seek adopting parties

Peter,

Really happy you've completed the loop re. ODS and data.fm :-)

All ears about workflow patterns that would make life even easier for users.

We are in the process of making some UI/UX tweaks to ODS so that
programmers clearly see the separation of the core engine from its dated
(2001) UI.

Also going to get the programmers guide sorted since its been enterprise
ready and oriented for many years etc.. Of late, its entered the
senility realm due to dearth of tools for interop testing until data.fm
emerged.

Kingsley

President&  CEO
OpenLink Software