RE: PGP aside

it's worth noting also that a PGP fingerprint is composed entirely of key material... along with, I recently discovered, the "key creation timestamp" (relative to unix epoch), which is included in a PGP pubkey packet.

the combination of some well-known constants + RSA or DSA primitives + timestamp (dct:created ?) is enough to generate a key ID/fingerprint for v4.

For v3 keys, you'll want an expiry timestamp as well (v4 moved it into the signature packets instead).

Applications "SHOULD" [RFC2119 parlance] be generating v4 keys, but the packet dumps I have in front of me just now suggest that GnuPG generates v3 by default, though it can read v4 without issue.

M.

(apologies for top-posting)

--
Mo McRoberts - Technical Lead - The Space,
0141 422 6036 (Internal: 01-26036) - PGP key CEBCF03E,