Re: Important Question re. WebID Verifiers & Linked Data

On 12/22/11 10:15 AM, Henry Story wrote:
> Thanks Patrick for exploring this. Some further pointers.
> An issue open for Microdata
>
>    http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/webid/track/issues/66
>
> All of our implementations support rdfa and rdf/xml. So going on what is
> currently implemented the spec is correct.
>
> We also have a wiki page that converse the different formats
>    http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/webid/wiki/WebID_by_examples
>
> I wonder if the linked data crowd would prefer turtle support over
> rdf/xml by now.

Who are these RDF/XML touting Linked Data folks that you speak of? Are
you not keeping up to date with Linked Data at all?
Turtle has been used to drive Linked Data since the emergence of SPARQL.
What are SPARQL graph patterns based on? RDF/XML?

> My own prejudice is that RDFa looks pretty good now. Especially RDFa 1.1.
>
>     http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdfa-wg/2011Dec/0057.html

Yes, but neither your prejudices nor mine matter. This is about a spec
for a standard that we all hope is adopted en masse by Web Developers
and users.

> And has been worked through carefully.

Microdata has been worked through also. Google has also ensured mass
adoption. Please do some objective research re. Microdata and its
adoption etc..

Kingsley

> 	Henry
>
> On 22 Dec 2011, at 15:57, Patrick Logan wrote:
>
>> OK, that seems manageable, assuming it all specs out.
>>
>> So looking at the 12 December 2012 draft (
>> http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/webid/spec/#in-portable-contacts-format-using-grddl
>> ), it looks like (2) RDFa and (4) RDF/XML are in the draft, but (1)
>> HTML+Microdata and (3) Turtle are not.
>>
>> In particular the two most relevant sections look to be:
>>
>> ========
>> 3.2.4.1 Processing the WebID Profile
>>
>> The Verification Agent must be able to process documents in RDF/XML
>> [RDF-SYNTAX-GRAMMAR] and RDFa in XHTML [XHTML-RDFA]. The result of
>> this processing should be a graph of RDF relations that is queryable,
>> as explained in the next section.
>> ========
>>
>> How should that read instead?
>>
>> And then the profile description section itself (
>> http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/webid/spec/#the-webid-profile ) lists
>> some "should", "must", and "not required"
>>
>> ========
>> foaf:mbox
>>
>> foaf:name
>>
>> foaf:depiction
>>
>> cert:RSAPublicKey
>>
>> cert:key
>> ========
>>
>> Clearly (to me) Turtle can handle these. So maybe nothing more has to
>> be said about that but to list Turtle as an option.
>>
>> I know almost nothing about HTML+Microdata. My basic understanding is
>> that the "itemtype" attribute would be required to indicate some
>> values are foaf:mbox's, cert:key's, etc. Are there any representation
>> issues or pieces missing in the Microdata draft necessary to have
>> Microdata be unambiguously supported in the WebID spec?
>>
>> Are you (Kingsley) driving the inclusion of Microdata in the WebID spec?
>>
>> Thanks
>> -Patrick

>>> 1. HTML + Microdata
>>> 2. XHTML + RDFa