From: public-xg-webid-request@w3.org [mailto:public-xg-webid-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Andrei Sambra
Sent: Friday, April 29, 2011 12:01 PM
To: WebID XG
Subject: Re: SNI Support

Hello,

I've come to the conclusion that using "SSLVerifyClient optional_no_ca"
is mutually exclusive to having a valid CA bundle file. Some issuers (AlphaSSL in my case) require that websites must also provide the CA bundle file (the certification chain).

If a CA bundle file is provided and the option "SSLVerifyClient optional_no_ca" is used (in order to authenticate WebID users by requiring their browser certificate), then the authentication does not happen anymore (the server no longer asks for a certificate).

If the CA bundle file is not used, the authentication takes place just fine. However, some browsers will not be able to verify the server certificate's issuer -> the same behavior as using self-signed server certificates; which makes one wonder why pay for a signed certificate in the first place.

I'm open to suggestions at this point...

Andrei