Re: Green cloud? -- Re: Position Paper for W3C Workshop on Identity

On 4/26/11 2:46 PM, Henry Story wrote:
> On 26 Apr 2011, at 20:35, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>
>> On 4/26/11 2:26 PM, Henry Story wrote:
>>>
>>> That's because WebID turns the cloud into a play ground for the social web :-)
>> "the social web" ? Why not "a social web" . We have to be less provincial in our choice of words. WebID is about a tweak to what exists. Not a land grab or new club.
>>
>> "The" is one of the biggest problems with "The Semantic Web". A single word can skew intent.
> I don't know: people don't usually speak of "a telephone network". The speak of "the telephone network"

AT&T, Verizon etc.. is what I tend to hear, as examples etc.  :-)

> because it is global, and there would be no point of having 25 different ones. Or at least that was given up a long time ago. So the same we are turning the cloud into a playground for the social web, because there will be one big social web, not many little ones. And of course it will be open to all to join. Including your foes.

I think, when trying to be inclusive "a" works better than "the". I
speak from experience re. troubles associated with "The Semantic Web".
This subtleties introduce unexpected problems.

Kingsley
> Henry
>
>> --
>>
>> Regards,