RE: Green cloud? -- Re: Position Paper for W3C Workshop on Identity

This issue keeps coming up in one form or another. Its obviously an integral
part of the debate (and should be characterized).

If you look at X.500 - a partnerhip between telco-centric ITU and
organization-centric ISO, its totally, utterly failed in its ITU mission.
There are no telcos offering public directory white/yellow pages, using
X.500 protocols, with or without the expected public key within. If one
looks at the ActiveDirectory space (shortly to go cloud scale), its 100%
exactly what ISO envisaged - peer-peer, between organizations leveraging bit
pipes from public providers of packet switched networks.

There is no X.500/ActiveDirectory community. Just 1 million + instances of
the protocol engine and the data set VIEWS (plural) that it projects to
various members of the public, sometimes connected by federations of
various types (X.500 native federations, Kerberos forests, Websso, or ...
foaf files), and using technology that has taken nearly 30 years to finally
mature (and get accepted, as just "normal").

The thing that KEPT X.500 till it matured going was its security angle, and
the design requirement to be protocol agnostic (ldap, ldif, osi, asi, bsi,
websso....) And, if you think X.509 got bad mouthed by the US DARPA types in
academia, it was nothing compared to the venom on display against X.500
itself, due to some DARPA/NSA inter-agency politics over R&D influence and
access to "national scale" budgets).