Re: wikileaks certs, ICANN, DNS, and DANE. using ldap to parallel a DANE zone

On 21 Apr 2011, at 02:53, peter williams wrote:

> “Both of these technologies should help bring about  an increasingly secure Web, whilst avoiding the dystopia of excessive centralization” says the bard in the paper.
>
> DANE centralizes – in DNS. Just like ICANN centralized naming authority (in some US commerce committee, which holds special power over ICANN), and the top level roots are centralized (in VeriSign/NetworkSolutions, on the territory of the USA).

It is not as centralised as it appears, as I argues a few weeks ago on this list in the thread "Certificate Authorities under increasing spotlight"

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-webid/2011Mar/0126.html

So on that view DNSsec is as (de)centralised as CAs.

But I'll add a twist to the paper.