RE: self-signed

On 18 Apr 2011, at 21:52, Kingsley Idehen wrote:

>> A good idea, but let's speak numbers.
>>
>> How many certs with e-mail addresess as you published are there really?
>> Of those how many are client certs? How many of those have mailto uris that are backed by webfinger?
>
> Please re-read the sentences above.
>
> This has nothing to do with Webfinger bar the fact that it solves the bigger issue of making a "mailto:" scheme URI a de-referencable URI. That's it.

Let's phrase it another way:

How many certificates which are potentially WebID certs (that is, have some kind of identifier which COULD be resolved if the server knew how) are actually out there?

We already know SSL client certificates pretty much failed. It doesn't matter how many GMail e-mail addresses are out there if they don't already have certificates, because brand new certs which conform in whatever way the WebID coin lands can be generated.

I can't help but wonder if there is some cross-purpose arguing going on.

You're saying “WebID should support more than just http URIs”

Peter, on the other hand, is saying “WebID should work with X.509v1 certificates, ignore critical extension, basically work with whatever certificates are *already out there* [even though we know that none of them are actually WebID certs!]”

Henry's saying “WebID should be built on X.509v3 with the URI in the SAN [or possibly IAN?], but for the moment let's focus on HTTP[s] URIs in building the testsuite, then move onto other schemes”

Is that a fair summary?

Kingsley, Henry isn't — I don't think — actually disagreeing with you, it's just a matter of prioritising the initial work.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

--
Mo McRoberts - Data Analyst - Digital Public Space,
Zone 1.08, BBC Scotland, 40 Pacific Quay, Glasgow G51 1DA,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/