Re: "how do you get people to have and keep key pairs?"

alternatively:

Perhaps WebID will simply provide the tooling, familiarity and UIs to
manage keys better, such that WOT can build on the increased support and
familiarity, rather than specifically using the same key(s).

a fair bit to think about.